Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New addition to the family

A real doll this time, named Fiona. My second grandchild, born Sunday. Look at all that hair!

What a great excuse to make more dollies (baby-proof, of course).

Friday, March 19, 2010

Izannah Workshop doll #2 DONE!

I finally finished the dress for my second workshop doll last night. I started on her dress first, because I already had brown thread loaded on the machine. I still need to make the dress for my first workshop doll, which will be a green/light tan plaid.

This Izannah-inspired doll was created in Dixie Redmond's online Izannah Workshop. Visit the blog for the details HERE.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Two more e-patterns completed

I've just finished converting two more cloth doll patterns to e-pattern (pdf) format. They are "Cecelia" and "Sleepytime Santa." 
You can find links on my website: http://www.blueherondolls.com/blue_heron_patterns.htm

As with my other e-patterns, they are not instant downloads but will be emailed to you as an attachment once I've noted a payment has been received via email (usually the same day, unless I happen to be out of town.)

Friday, March 12, 2010

"Verity" now available as e-pattern

Today (instead of working on my Izannah dresses) I decided to convert my Verity pattern to e-pattern format. Now it's 5 p.m., and time to get dinner on the table.

Only two days left of my stay-at-home vacation, and I'm dreading going back to work on Monday. This has been a real treat.

I've been trying to add a PayPal button here, but I'm not having much luck right now. I think the one on my website is working.

Verity e-pattern
$14.00 USD


I sewed all day yesterday, working on my Izannahs' undergarments. They wear pantaloons, chemises and petticoats. I might shorten the petticoat on the left a little bit.

It's stormy outside, and as I have no reason to go out, will work on their dresses.

This Izannah-inspired doll was created in Dixie Redmond's online Izannah Workshop. Visit the blog for the details HERE.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Almost there...

Today I was able to work more on my Izannah dolls. Both dolls have the same coloring, and look as though they could be sisters. Doll Number 1 has fabric ears applied after the knit cloth-over was done. I don't know why this thumbnail looks so stretched out.

Here are the two of them together, with arms pinned in place. Before attaching the arms, I'll need to sew the "second skin" which is a sort of body covering that makes everything tidy. I've selected some dress fabrics from my stash and painted boots to match.

Doll Number 2 has paperclay sculpted ears and a cloth-over. Her features are a little finer than my first attempt above.

I'll be applying an antique wash, which will have to happen prior to adding the second skin and arms.

This Izannah-inspired doll was created in Dixie Redmond's online Izannah Workshop. Visit the blog for the details HERE.

Friday, March 5, 2010

The problem with ears

is getting them the right size, the same size, and in the right place. This can be tricky, working on two sides of the head. You've got to constantly check your work from all angles. So I thought I'd try something new today.

I cut two ears from thin cardboard and used Tac'N Stik to attach them to the head of my second Izannah doll. It was easy to shift the ears until they seemed right.

Of course, I had to first sketch the eyes and eyebrows, because they're helpful in determining where the ears are supposed to go.

You've really got to look at the placement of the ears from all angles - from the back of the head, the top of the head, etc. Go grab a buddy and see where the top of the ear is in relation to the eye and brow.

When happy with the placement, I pressed the cardboard ears against the head and traced around them. Now to apply the paperclay, using my pencil marks as guidelines - but first, after finding out the hard way, it's important to score a shallow line along the pencil line. If you don't, when you spritz the dry clay with water so the new clay will stick, it'll wipe right off.
I finger-rolled a snake of clay, and placed it along the marked line for each ear. Using my fingers and clay tool, blended the edges toward the head. This doll with have a cloth covering made of cotton knit, so the ears will be fairly low-profile so the cloth will go over them smoothly.
And because this doll will have a cloth-over, the ear doesn't need to be terribly detailed. Once this clay has dried, I'll refine it a bit more.

This Izannah-inspired doll is being created in Dixie Redmond's Izannah Workshop. Visit the blog for the details HERE.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Custom Averill doll completed

I'm finally done with the finishing touches on my latest Averill doll. I needed to give her some clunky leather boots, though these are without heels (I'm not sure if I'm going to add them, I might ruin them in the process).

And during a recent walk, found the beads and heart charm in the grass by the side of the road. The beads were the perfect color for this doll, though strung a little tight. I restrung them and added the bow. Progress photos are HERE and HERE.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Winter Recreation

This morning we left bright and early, heading to Mt. Hood Meadows to ski. It's wonderful being there mid-week, because there are no lift lines, you don't have to park very far from the lodge, and you have the slopes pretty much to yourself. This is a horrible photo, taken from my phone. There wasn't much snow, but there wasn't wind or rain, either. And actually, the snow was pretty good and the company even better.