She's been on my work table for too long. She's getting done today! This takes me back. "Hazel the Witch" is one of my first doll patterns, published in 1999. I still have the pattern available, both in traditional paper format and e-pattern HERE. Pin dolls take just as long to make a bigger dolls in my opinion, and are sometimes more difficult due to their small size.
I've worked the past couple days, so not much progress has been made. This evening I finished painting a couple coats of brown gesso on the head and arms. When dry, I will start painting in shades of orange that resemble pumpkins.
I've been working on a couple dolls simultaneously. One is an Alice in Wonderland doll (see earlier posts), and the other is a Pumpkinhead sculpted from Paperclay. Boy, I'm really out of practice (not that I was every very good!). I've still got a lot of refining to do, and add a stem, of course.
I've got her dress fabric picked out, and her arms and legs are sewn and stuffed. Now I'm just waiting for the clay to dry before sanding a bit more.
A little more sculpting today. Once dry, needs sanding.
Alice is nearly done. I'm not sure I like the placement of the buttons on her bodice. I may space them more closely together. All she needs now is an apron, which I'll make from a vintage hankie. I've got three to choose from.
In this photos, you can see that her skirt is a little damp. That's because I've misted it lightly with water to help with the fabric drape.
Technically, I've got today off - though I've got an afternoon meeting at work. So I'm taking advantage of a couple free hours this morning. I've finished Alice's legs and shoes, and have attached them to her body. I've also dampened and combed out her hair (Tibetan lamb), and am waiting for it to dry.
It can be tricky getting the stripes to match. I use a glue stick to help keep the fabric from shifting while sewing, but didn't get it perfectly aligned.
Heavy rains are forecasted today, and I have no intention of stepping outside unless absolutely necessary. So, I'm going to continue working on two dolls.
Progress so far:
Verity/Alice has 6 coats of Messy Mix on the head/bust, and 2 on the arms. Two coats of gesso. Two coats of flesh-colored acrylic paint (specifically, Jo Sonja's Artists' Colours in Unbleached Titanium).
Face is done.
Tibetan lamb wig (sewn earlier in the week) has been glued and pinned to the head. After glue has been dried, hair will be combed and styled. I always glue lace to the edge of the painted bust.