I'm revisiting my modern take ("Viola Ruth") on antique Alabama Baby dolls. I made one this past March for the ODACA Day Sales Room in New Orleans. She sold almost immediately.
This is a cloth doll with a baked polymer clay face and occiput, air-dry clay that fills the gaps, covered with a knit fabric, then painted. The pattern is available on my website, but I'm running quite low on the pressmolds used to form the face.
I've started two more dolls as I want to write an article describing my process for "antiquing" painted dolls for the upcoming issue of Expressions, ODACA's quarterly newsletter issued to Artist and Patron members. You can become a Patron HERE.
So let's begin:
The body is very simple. Darts front and back define the neck, and the bottom is boxed. Because the polymer clay can make the doll top-heavy, I add a basic wire armature while stuffing to strengthen the neck.
The baked polymer clay is glued to the cloth head and allowed to dry completely.
I apply white tacky glue to the exposed fabric head, then add air-dry clay to fill the gaps. This extends beyond the neck and upper chest/back, which strengthens the neck and creates a sort of shoulder plate.
Knit fabric is adhered with white tacky glue and covers the entire head, neck and shoulder plate. After the glue has dried, I paint two layers of gesso to the knit.
Gesso also covers the ears, then they are glued to the head.
Paint the head, shoulder plate, arms and legs with flesh-colored acrylic paint. I like this light neutral color (Jo Sonja's Artists' Colours in unbleached titanium).
The shoes/stockings are painted with a color that complements the clothing.
The first step in antiquing the dolls to use a ONE-STEP crackle. I'm sure there are other brands out there, but I've only used DecoArt (note: product label may vary). Do NOT use a 2-step crackle. Apply the crackle to the painted areas quickly, and don't over-work it. A thin coat will produce small crackled effects. A thick coat will produce large crackled effects. Allow to dry thoroughly - roughly 2-4 hours depending on thickness of application.
Stay tuned...









No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to answer those who leave comments here, but need a valid email address to do so.
Log into blogger on your dashboard page, click where it says "edit profile" on the left side of the page. Then check "SHOW EMAIL ADDRESS" in the 3rd line down, and at the bottom of the page click SAVE CHANGES!