Sunday, April 20, 2014

Livia doll, in progress

It's been slow going, but yesterday I was able to get a little more done on my new doll, "Livia," inspired by the dolls of Izannah Walker and Helen Pringle.

I can see I still have a couple tweaks to do to the pattern, but here are the first two prototypes. The first (on the right) has a neck that's a little too bulky and her ears are just a bit larger than I want. Her legs are too short, as well.

The second prototype (the doll on the left) has had her upper and lower legs lengthened a bit. I also deepened her neck darts, but now I might have to move her nose up a millimeter or two to make room for her lips.
Their shoes are made from felt. I've got fabric picked out for their dresses. If I can get the rest of the painting done today - which is my goal - I hope to get at least one of the girls done. I plan to crackle Prototype #1 and do a wash over that to give her an aged look (which is why the arms are not yet attached.)
Stay tuned!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Happy Easter!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

New Doll in Progress

Oh my, we're well into April, and San Antonio (ODACA Day / UFDC Convention) in July is coming right up. While I've been loving the art journaling adventure, I think it's time to knuckle down and get some dolls made!

I've been trying to think of a new design that will be appealing, travel well without special packing, sell well, and won't take days and days to make. This is prototype number 1, which will be about 13 inches tall. I'm thinking I need to elongate her thighs and lower legs, however, so the final doll will be a bit taller.
I'm such a fan of Izannah Walker and other antique cloth dolls, that I hope to get that style of doll in the end. I haven't decided whether I'll paint her footwear or make cloth shoes.
If I can think of a way to make a stand, this design may work for my Hoffman doll as well.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday, March 3, 2014

Life Book 2014 March Lessons

Work has been crazy (preparing for the big switch to an electronic medical record - seems like that's all I'm doing lately). Today I finally finished my Week 10 lesson (March 26) - and now I'm 3 1/2 lessons behind. I miss making art!

This week's lesson was taught by Tamara Laporte and Gracie Howle from Willowing. Here's my page, though I may still add flowers/butterflies at some point.

I've had Lesley Riley's TAP, but haven't used it yet. This lesson will be a great introduction to the product. Hope it hasn't outdated!

Monday, February 24, 2014

Reality Check

Here's a very short video shared at the Life Book site, that hits it on the head. Now to figure out where I am in the process...

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine Project with the Grandkids

I decided I needed to create a Valentine project to make with the grandkids this year. I frequently have sleepless nights (insomnia sucks!), and used the awake time to imagine a child-appropriate project.
This is what I came up with:
My prep-work was minimal. I cut heart shapes from chipboard and painted them with gesso so they'd take the red paint better and maintain a brighter color.
I bought a jigsaw puzzle several years ago (cheap at a second hand store) for the purpose of crafting. If I were to do this again, I'd paint the puzzle pieces with gesso, too. I didn't, and it took several coats of craft-grade acrylic paint to get decent coverage (which taxed the attention span of the kids).
They enjoyed painting their hearts red.
Fingers are great for applying tacky glue, but only for those who don't mind messy fingers. Ivan had no qualms, but Fiona wasn't a fan and delegated the glue application - then she had no problem placing the puzzle pieces on the heart.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Chocolates sound nice...hint, hint

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. Today I hope to work on a project with the grandkids. We'll see how it goes.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Life Book 2013 Video Flip-through!

Today I filmed a flip-through of my Life Book 2013 art journal. Twice. Not as easy as it looks. I backed the video with some music, as I'm sure you don't want to hear me coughing and sniffling.

I wish it was higher resolution when I click full screen. Oh, well. It's my first attempt.

Life Book 2014 February Lessons

I'm excited to have finished my last lesson of Life Book 2013! All pages are now backed, and as soon as I finish decorating the cover I'm going to make a flip-through video.

Meanwhile, I'm behind a few of the 2014 lessons while I've caught up with 2013. Now I can move on.

This lesson taught by Tam Laporte uses Dylusions Spray Inks. HERE is Tam's post and art journal page from this lesson.
This is my second attempt at this page today. Grandson Ivan told me (as I got out of the shower) that he'd painted my circle. This lesson was about negative space, and that "circle" was an area that was to be left unpainted. I think he understands now that his art is his and my art is mine. The boy has access to the best art supplies when I babysit and we often work on art projects, so maybe he misunderstood the boundaries. As a result, I changed my word for this page.
Here's the second part of the lesson. I struggled with the looseness of the spray inks. I'm such a control freak!

Jane Davenport taught this week's lesson ~ a pop-up page. What fun!
Here's the cover:
 Here's a mermaid for the inside:
 Wind and waves:
And all the parts popping up:

Another new teacher! Alena Hennessy.
This lesson employed intuitive painting, and I've come to the conclusion that I have NO intuition when it comes to painting. Not my favorite, but a worthwhile lesson.

This week's lesson is an interview with Claudine Hellmuth.
Here's her Etsy shop:

See my Life Book 2013 pages HERE
or Life Book 2014 HERE  -
or just click on the appropriate label in the left sidebar (scroll down).