Saturday, May 28, 2016

Progress on three Emmaline dolls

It's been a productive day. I've cut out three dresses (see fabric, previous post), and have started painting. I got three sets of bloomers done on Thursday.

After the face painting is done, I'll be using a one-step crackle, then an antique wash like the finished dolls have. Then I'll sew the dresses and finish each doll (one at a time). Only two more days of "vacation," then I'm back to work. I hope to finish all three before then.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Starting a trio of dolls

I've taken a few days off this week, and plan to sew as much as possible. I bought some repro fabrics (Penny Rose Fabrics, "Civil War Times" by Erin Turner for PR Gallery), and plan to make three more "Emmaline" vintage-style dolls to take to Washington DC this summer.
Off to do some stuffing now...

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Alice is finished!

I've just finished my Alice doll, though I reserve the right to add another accessory. Now I'm thinking of making anther Alice (since that's the ODACA theme this year), from another of my patterns.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Alice ~ finishing touches

Today I'm going to work on finishing Alice. She will need her apron/pinafore, and perhaps a headband. I'm thinking a wired band would work without compressing  her hair too much. I haven't made one of those before, but I have a couple ideas. I also think she needs a *something* - like a bottle that says "drink me" or some little thing like that.
If all goes well, I'll be able to take the final photos of her and update my neglected website.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Alice Progress

I've made some progress on Alice over the past few days. Her wig has been sewn and glued on, and now I'm waiting for the hair to dry. I love the Tibetan lamb, but sometimes wish the hair was a little longer.
Here she is with just her unders. Her dress is finished, but I wanted to take care of the hair before redressing her. 
Her lower legs are a narrow black and white stripe. I've found an old hankie with some variegated white/gray/black crocheted edging that I hope to use for an apron. I'm not sure if I'll get that done today.

Sunday, May 1, 2016


I've been working very slowly making dolls for the upcoming UFDC Conference/ODACA Day in July. Today I continue to make progress on an Alice in Wonderland doll made from my Verity pattern. I've just done a little painting, with more to come. Then she'll need some shading and highlights to give more depth.
It's a beautiful day on the Oregon Coast, and I hope to get some work done on her before it gets too hot in my upstairs studio (well, hot is a relative term, since it's about 68 degrees out right now - but my studio can get pretty warm).
I've got a couple vintage hankies that I could use as an apron or pinafore, just trying to decide which one.