Thursday, May 28, 2015

A Couple New Quilts

As I recently had the house to myself, I decided to finish a couple quilts. The first was made for the young daughter of a friend. I used (for the most part) fabrics I had on hand. I used a pattern I purchased for an online benefit:

The second was a quilt made from a charm pack I started sewing together in December of last year. I'd intended this one to be for my sister, but it goes so well with my living room that I'm keeping it for myself. She'll have to wait for hers, which will be made from the fabrics I'd originally intended for myself (see them here:

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

RIP Arthur

Today we had to let our kitty go. Arthur was a wonderful cat. So much personality, and loyal to the end. May he rest in peace.  

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Life Book 2015 May Lessons
I used acrylic paint, acrylic ink, stabile pencil, china marker, Tombow

I'll be scanning my page soon, but wanted to share what Ivan (age 6+) did the other day... his is the one on the right. He did a fantastic job!
A couple finishing touches, then scanned:

More Art Journaling Explorations HERE

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Abstract art and the task-oriented personality type

Lately (the past month or so), I've been focusing on getting some new dolls done for a magazine article featuring ODACA artists ( Tonight I decided to take a little break, and started working on a journal page instead. This one is for Life Book - a lesson by Jenny Doe (, which is very abstract. This is my first layer, which is currently drying.

 I have trouble with abstract. I like it (or much of it), but have trouble creating it. I think this is because I'm a "Task" person, according to the People Mapping exercise we did yesterday for work. I can't say I was surprised, because the description fit me perfectly (I also scored very strongly toward People, as do many other nurses).  I guess I have to work harder at relaxing my brain.

You'd think as a Task person, I would have a very neat and organized studio. This is not the case.

More Art Journaling Explorations HERE

Pin Doll patterns converted to E-PATTERN format

I spent some time this morning converting a couple of my older patterns to e-pattern format.

This one is Miranda the Mermaid, to make a pin doll, ornie or barrette. I haven't made one of these dolls in a long time. I can sure see how my faces have evolved!
I also converted my Heavenly Wings pattern as well. This pin doll/ornie was originally designed as a hands-on activity for my doll club.

I've got these patterns listed in my Etsy Store and have just updated my website as well.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mothers Day!

Here's to all the mothers out there. Hope your day is special.

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Note Cards & Art Prints

I recently found a business online that will print your artwork onto note cards and other formats. I started with a small quantity of size A2 (4.25 X 5.5 inches, folded), and have been pleased with the quality and service. The site is Oak Creek Printworks (no affiliation).

Today I had a chance to add those to my Etsy store. I've packaged a set of four cards to test the waters (one each of the below designs, with envelopes for $10 plus postage). Hope they do well, cuz I sure had fun making them.

I'm thinking I might take them to the hospital gift shop and give it a try there, too, if they'll have them.

More Art Journaling Explorations HERE

Averill cloth doll pattern - new e-pattern (and sale)

Last week I spent the better part of a day converting my Averill cloth doll pattern to an e-pattern. In the process of doing this, I also updated the paper pattern. Averill is one of my earlier patterns, so I took this opportunity to add a few more details (or process improvements). Now I have about three copies of the original pattern that I'm offering at a reduced price. I've listed this sale pattern (as well as the new e-pattern) in my Etsy store (click on the Averill pattern below):
I recently used this pattern to make an all-cloth doll, and I'm using it again for my Hoffman Challenge doll (not yet finished).

Friday, May 8, 2015

Hoffman Progress (2)

I attached the arms and legs this morning. Now I can print this photo, and sketch costuming onto the paper to explore some ideas. I'm rather embarrassed at how I've abused my ironing board. Don't judge me ;)

Monday, May 4, 2015

Hoffman progress

Today I'm working on my Hoffman Challenge doll. So far the doll is sewn and stuffed, and I'm just starting the face. It sure looks plain and flat without shading and highlights!
You can see some of the fabrics in the background. The piece behind her head is the challenge fabric. I've been mulling costume ideas as I work, with no clear plan. Fingers crossed!