Sunday, August 26, 2012


There hasn't been much free time since returning from New Orleans, but I'm chipping away at a few commissioned dolls. I'm not really fond of making dolls on commission, but at least these are from my own design (as opposed to working with someone who has an idea of a doll in mind).
For these dolls, working assembly-line style is the most efficient. It's easier to get into a rhythm, and it minimized the number of thread color changes (which is a little tedious). At this point I've sewn all the parts and have baked the faces.
I've also sewn three chemises. Actually, I've sewn five chemises, because when the commissioned dolls are done, I'll make a couple more to that to next year's UFDC Conference/ODACA Day in Washington DC.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The tough job of choosing a quilt block

I'm having the hardest time settling on a quilt design for my granddaughter Fiona's birthday quilt. As a brand new quilter, I just don't have the repertoire of blocks in my pattern stash or brain.

I saw a pillow on Craftsy made using the Simple Courthouse Steps block. The link to the pattern/template was included, so decided to audition this block to see if I liked it. I'd never tried paper piecing before, and it went together pretty well.
The fabric used is from a fat quarter bundle by Riley Blake, called "Fiona's Fancy."

Friday, August 17, 2012

Storybook Challenge - MAIDA group submission to Prims

Back in February of this year, the MAIDA (Making Antique Inspired Dolls & Accessories) online group decided to host a challenge with the intention of submitting those dolls to Prims Magazine. Our group project was featured in the most recent issue of the magazine (Autumn, 2012). The article was written by Dixie Redmond, who also has a MAIDA blog.

We decided the books/characters chosen would be old enough to be in the public domain, the dolls were to be under 17 inches in height, and no characters would be duplicated. Most of the dolls were included in the magazine feature. All of the submissions were wonderful, and really stretched our skills.

My doll is "Alice," made using my Verity pattern at 75%. Her clothing is removable. I used a vintage hankie for her pinafore (I knew all those hankies I bought on eBay would come to good use!)  Her flamingo caused me fits to make - not an easy project!

Alice (like Verity) is made from muslin. Her face is lightly needle-sculpted, then painted with a mixture of acrylic gel medium and modeling paste. Then a couple coats of gesso are applied, followed by flesh-tone acrylic paint. Her hair is Tibetan lamb. 

 Be sure to order your copy of the magazine here:
Autumn 2012 Issue of Prims Magazine

Thursday, August 2, 2012

BOM ~ August

 Just finished Crafty's August's blocks. Both went pretty fast. This one is called the Ohio Star block.
 The second block was the Double Star, which required a bit more cutting. Fun, though, and it went together pretty well. I wanted to make the most use of what fabric I have left, so I did a little piecing. I can hardly find the pieced ones!
Sixteen blocks so far, four more to go.