Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Wishing everyone a lovely Easter. For the first time in I don't know how long, we don't have to work this holiday. So we're headed to the valley to spend the day with family. I got up early this morning to finish the salad I'm taking (Greek Pasta Salad - one of my faves). Yesterday was beautiful - perfect weather for the Easter egg hunts (it usually rains cats and dogs for the poor kids). Today is more like usual - overcast and wet. A good day to travel.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

New Book ~ Steampunk Bible ~ a Great Source of Inspiration!

It's been a pretty crummy week, but a little ray of sunshine arrived in the form of a new book that I'd pre-ordered several months ago, The Steampunk Bible. I just browsed through it quickly, and wow(!) is it chock full of photos and history and inspiration!
I've not yet made a doll in the style of Steampunk, but I've been collecting a few gears and other doo-dads. Now all I need is the time to do it!

I also wanted to add how appreciated all your comments have been, regarding the recent loss of our beloved dog Misty. Thank you.

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Tough Decisions...

Sometimes we have to make the really tough decision to let something (someone) go. So we said our goodbyes to our beloved Misty just a short time ago.

The last few months have been increasingly difficult for her to get up on her own ~ we've had to pick up her hindquarters because her hips were so bad. She did ok once up, for the most part. But as she appeared to be having more and more discomfort recently (despite the pain medications), the decision became more urgent. And more humane.

Which doesn't mean I'm not sitting here crying my eyes out over one of the best dogs we've ever had. We were blessed to have her in our family for as long as we did.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Making Progress ~ doll from 1933 pattern

It's been a challenge to find the time to work on little Fiona's doll (made from a 1933 pattern). Yesterday I was able to stuff and attach the arms, but it was a mystery to me how to stuff the arms (and legs) enough to fill them out, but allow for some movement. So there's not much movement. I pinned the arms down for the photo.
I also tacked down the goofy little ears. I'll work on the face next. The pattern has a face overlay, onto which the features are embroidered prior to sewing the face to the head. I think I may paint the features directly onto the head instead. I'm still not sure. And after that is the wig. I'm hoping I have some long faux fur that I can use.