Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A little more Hoffman progress

I've made a little more progress today, adding ears, arms, and lower legs. I'm still pondering costuming options, having a very vague sense of a direction.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Hoffman Challenge doll ~ in progress

This year, I'm hoping to complete my Hoffman Challenge doll well before the deadline. Think it will happen? Last year, I chose an unfinished doll from my big basket-o-dolls - one that fit the size requirements. No such luck this year, so I'm adapting my most recent design (see Livia prototypes). I've lengthened her body a little, as well as her thighs, legs are lower legs.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Livia, Prototype #2

Here is another Livia doll, prototype #2. She's a little taller than #1, about 14 1/2 inches standing. Her neck is thinner (I changed the darts a little), but now I think I may need to mover her nose up just a teeny bit to give me more room for the mouth on future dolls.

I didn't crackle this doll, just applied a watered down wash of brown paint to age her just a bit.
I do like her better than #1.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Livia, Prototype #1

I've finally finished the first prototype of my new doll "Livia." My attempted crackle/aging was an epic fail, which was disappointing. I may age but not crackle prototype #2.

Livia's dress is removable. She wears bloomers beneath, which are also removable.
Some corrections have been made to the second prototype, and I'll get started painting her face after I'm done posting here.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Livia doll, in progress

It's been slow going, but yesterday I was able to get a little more done on my new doll, "Livia," inspired by the dolls of Izannah Walker and Helen Pringle.

I can see I still have a couple tweaks to do to the pattern, but here are the first two prototypes. The first (on the right) has a neck that's a little too bulky and her ears are just a bit larger than I want. Her legs are too short, as well.

The second prototype (the doll on the left) has had her upper and lower legs lengthened a bit. I also deepened her neck darts, but now I might have to move her nose up a millimeter or two to make room for her lips.
Their shoes are made from felt. I've got fabric picked out for their dresses. If I can get the rest of the painting done today - which is my goal - I hope to get at least one of the girls done. I plan to crackle Prototype #1 and do a wash over that to give her an aged look (which is why the arms are not yet attached.)
Stay tuned!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Happy Easter!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

New Doll in Progress

Oh my, we're well into April, and San Antonio (ODACA Day / UFDC Convention) in July is coming right up. While I've been loving the art journaling adventure, I think it's time to knuckle down and get some dolls made!

I've been trying to think of a new design that will be appealing, travel well without special packing, sell well, and won't take days and days to make. This is prototype number 1, which will be about 13 inches tall. I'm thinking I need to elongate her thighs and lower legs, however, so the final doll will be a bit taller.
I'm such a fan of Izannah Walker and other antique cloth dolls, that I hope to get that style of doll in the end. I haven't decided whether I'll paint her footwear or make cloth shoes.
If I can think of a way to make a stand, this design may work for my Hoffman doll as well.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Life Book 2014 April Lessons

I had fun with this one! http://www.willowing.org/

This is actually our Week 16 assignment. I didn't care as much for this lesson (way out of the box for me), but I did learn some cool new techniques!

http://timewithtascha.blogspot.ca/ This lesson went fairly quickly, though my scanner was persnickety.


More Art Journaling Explorations HERE