Monday, June 28, 2010

Bits & Pieces

It's been hard to find time for dolls, or just about anything else lately. Today I spent way too many hours drafting and sewing a shirt for my patriotic challenge doll - not that easy, as the doll's got no shoulders. I've been making up the costuming as I go, and had better get this doll done by the deadline. I thought I had tomorrow off, too, but my plans were dashed when I checked my schedule :-(   Challenge doll photos need to be submitted by July 1, so my evenings will be full, too.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pattern for Sale ~ "Anne Marie" by Loretta Daum Byrne

Doncha just hate it when you forget you've already got a particular pattern, so buy it again? To be fair, I've had this particular pattern for quite awhile. When it come up on eBay I thought it looked familiar, but I've seen a lot of patterns in my day. The doll/pattern is by Loretta Daum Byrne, and has a copyright of 1983, and is out of print. The pattern pieces are uncut and still stapled to the center of the booklet. The cover shows some shelf wear.

The "Anne Marie" booklet has full-size pattern and instructions for a 17 inch soft sculpture doll with inserted eyes, and complete outfit (this includes her dress, pantaloons, slip, stockings, shoes and hat). The booklet is 13 pages of instruction, illustration and color photos.


Monday, June 14, 2010

Two Cecelia Dolls

I've been working on these girls for awhile. Both are made from craft velour, and made from my "Cecelia" pattern. They have synthetic wigs sewn in place. Clothing is removable (including panties). I added collars to their dresses (something new since publishing the pattern). They wear little lycra panties, which are also removable.

Their flat faces are needle sculpted, which is why the velour is so nice to use. I don't think this would work with a woven. Features are colored with acrylic paint and colored pencils.

Their arms and jointed. Their heads are jointed, too, so their heads can turn left and right. 

Friday, June 4, 2010

Long Time Gone

May. Gone like it was never here, and I don't really have that much to show for it. Only a few weeks left before we leave for Chicago and the annual UFDC Convention/ODACA Day - and I don't have very much "product" for the big sale.

This week, in between work, babysitting, and painting the living room, I've been working on a "Primitive Americana Patriotic Challenge" doll, hosted by Cloth Doll Artistry's Prim group. Participants are using the same pattern, designed by Sherrie Nordgren. No alterations can be made to the pattern, but paperclay, etc., can be added, which is what I've been doing.

I plan is to make a little boy doll, with some sort of patriotic or red/white/blue clothing. I used paperclay to sculpt his face, then covered it in knit fabric to make it more durable. I'm so used to making girl dolls, it will be a bit of a challenge to make a face that's all boy. One coat of gesso has been applied, and I'll apply a second before painting the skin tone.

While waiting for it the gesso to dry, I glanced out my window and saw a deer in the yard across the street. He'd been hiding in the tall grass (the house is empty and the yard is over-due for a mowing). I was able to get quite close.