Friday, June 4, 2010

Long Time Gone

May. Gone like it was never here, and I don't really have that much to show for it. Only a few weeks left before we leave for Chicago and the annual UFDC Convention/ODACA Day - and I don't have very much "product" for the big sale.

This week, in between work, babysitting, and painting the living room, I've been working on a "Primitive Americana Patriotic Challenge" doll, hosted by Cloth Doll Artistry's Prim group. Participants are using the same pattern, designed by Sherrie Nordgren. No alterations can be made to the pattern, but paperclay, etc., can be added, which is what I've been doing. http://clothdolls.ning.com/

I plan is to make a little boy doll, with some sort of patriotic or red/white/blue clothing. I used paperclay to sculpt his face, then covered it in knit fabric to make it more durable. I'm so used to making girl dolls, it will be a bit of a challenge to make a face that's all boy. One coat of gesso has been applied, and I'll apply a second before painting the skin tone.

While waiting for it the gesso to dry, I glanced out my window and saw a deer in the yard across the street. He'd been hiding in the tall grass (the house is empty and the yard is over-due for a mowing). I was able to get quite close.

2 comments:

Dixie Redmond said...

Deanna, your creation is looking great. It's kind of fun to make a boy doll - I look forward to seeing where he goes.

Dixie

Deanna Hogan said...

Thanks, Dixie. You can definitely see a bit of Izannah influence in this doll, too. I think I'll give him some sort of natural fiber hair.