Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Life Book 2015 September Lessons

http://www.creativedreamincubator.com/


http://jillberrydesign.com/


http://www.robenmarie.com/alittleaboutme



http://creativejuicesarts.com/

Life Book 2013 pages HERE
or Life Book 2014 HERE
or Life Book 2015 HERE
or Life Book 2016 HERE
or Life Book 2017 HERE
or Life Book 2018 HERE
or Life Book 2019 HERE

Sunday, September 27, 2015

"Emmaline" number 2 of 4 done

Today I completed a couple finishing touches on my prototype doll "Emmaline." I took a chance and tried crackling and antiquing my doll's face and arms, using DecoArt One Step Crackle and a wash of diluted raw umber paint. It turned out ok. I had some concerns because the product was so shiny, but the application of the antiquing was knocked down some.

Before the wash, waiting for the crackle to dry completely.
 
After the wash:
 
Emmaline stands about 16 1/2 inches tall.  

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Dolls in progress

I've been working on a series of four dolls, and I'm nearly done with number two. She just needs her face and hair, and hopefully I can get those done today. I use acrylic paint, so things dry pretty quickly.
 
Her clothing is already done, except for the little felt shoes. I just love those reproduction fabrics!
 
Making sure her dress fits.

Sunday, September 6, 2015

A Doll Done

Or should I say a prototype. This is doll 1 of 4, finished last night. She's made of inexpensive muslin (she is a prototype, after all), and I like the subtle give of the fabric. Her face, bust, and arms have about six coats of Messy Mix, then a couple coats of gesso, then skin tone acrylic paint. I wish I were more skilled at painting hair.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Tweaking a new doll design...

I've been working on creating a vintage inspired doll, with the added benefit of honing a design that can be produced for the ODACA Day sales room next summer. While I've got four doll bodies sewn and stuffed (with heads and busts painted with 5-6 coats of "Messy Mix), I'm working on completing just this one for now. Assembly line work may be efficient, but it's kind of boring.
 
Those zigzag lines on the heads and bodies below indicate the stretch direction (cross grain) of the fabric. 
 
I did, however, sew four sets of bloomers last night - that way I didn't have to change thread color repeatedly, and I can put that fabric and lace away... like that's going to make my studio any less cluttered!
 
Next step: painting the face and hair