Saturday, August 7, 2010

Itchin' to make some dolls

My day-to-day schedule is still just as hectic as ever, but since coming home from ODACA Day I've been so wanting to work on dolls. I decided to start by making a set of Averill dolls, using my new and improved mold. I thought it might be interesting to use a variety of skin colors to hone my paint blending skills, though I really don't care for the sheen that the craft velours have.

The baked polymer clay faces have been covered with knit fabric and are ready for gesso. I've also gone through my fabric stash and picked out fabrics that complement each skin tone.

Now all the faces have been gessoed, and the first one has been painted to match one of the bodies (hopefully, the paint always dries just a bit darker).

6 comments:

Kate said...

Deanna, have you produced new molds for the updated Averill? Did I miss this?

Susie McMahon said...

Deanna - You put me to shame with your organization! Four dolls ready to go with all their bits pinned together...........bet you NEVER lose any bits like I do!

Coppermouse Dolls said...

I too do not like the sheen of craft velour. Perhaps you could try dyeing your own cotton knit or maybe try 3mm wool felt.

Melisa

Sue said...

I agree, you're so organized. Have fun experimenting with the paint colors...

Clothmatters said...

Hi Deanna- Thanks for taking part in our CDA Blog Hops!

Connie

Deanna Hogan said...

Thanks, ladies ~ If you could only see the state of my studio right now, you'd take back the "organized" comment. But in this I guess I am somewhat organized. The little parts ALWAYS get pinned to their respective bodies, because I've lost plenty of them in the past.

I'm way too lazy to dye my own cotton knit, so I use what I've got in my plentiful stash. At least this particular doll has very little "skin" showing. I do like the amount of stretch in the craft velour, however.

Kate ~ I had new molds made for Averill, as I couldn't stand the big nose and lack of chin on the original. It's still not perfect, but a little more humanoid. Right now I'm in the process of updating the mold instructions with some new photos.