Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine Project with the Grandkids

I decided I needed to create a Valentine project to make with the grandkids this year. I frequently have sleepless nights (insomnia sucks!), and used the awake time to imagine a child-appropriate project.
This is what I came up with:
My prep-work was minimal. I cut heart shapes from chipboard and painted them with gesso so they'd take the red paint better and maintain a brighter color.
 
I bought a jigsaw puzzle several years ago (cheap at a second hand store) for the purpose of crafting. If I were to do this again, I'd paint the puzzle pieces with gesso, too. I didn't, and it took several coats of craft-grade acrylic paint to get decent coverage (which taxed the attention span of the kids).
 
 
They enjoyed painting their hearts red.
 
 
 
Fingers are great for applying tacky glue, but only for those who don't mind messy fingers. Ivan had no qualms, but Fiona wasn't a fan and delegated the glue application - then she had no problem placing the puzzle pieces on the heart.
 

No comments: