Friday, January 30, 2015

The loss of a pet ~ a tribute to Cassidy

I found our quirky boy Cassidy lying in the yard this morning. It only took an instant to know he had passed away. He was lying on his side, like he'd decided to lie in the sun - though it wasn't one of usual lounging spots - peacefully, but not breathing. He was still warm, and today is chilly. I'd like to think he had sudden cardiac death or other quick way of dying. There was no sign of trauma, no sign of struggle. And while I am sad, I am grateful he went suddenly. I wish I had been there to hold him and let him know he was loved.

2009
 
He was a fat and somewhat neurotic cat, but he *loved* me as much as cats can love people. He was a mommy's boy. He loved to be brushed on his left side, but hated to have his right side groomed. Like really, really hated it. He preferred to lie on his right side, so naturally this was the side that needed the most attention.
 
He got along well with the dogs and our other cat (Arthur). He knew who belonged in our pack, and who didn't.
2011
 
Cassidy came to us via our neighbor Dick, who adopted him as a stray, mature cat. He gave him to us when he was moving away to live on his boat. So he's quite old, though I don't have any idea how old. He wanted so much to be an inside cat, but his need to mark his territory wasn't popular. So he had a little house outside, on the deck, just outside the kitchen door.
 
We buried him in the back yard, under the cedar tree.

5 comments:

Sherri Farley said...

So sad to lose a pet. Our male cat lives outside and has a "cat house" too. He came to us when a friend of our daughter went on vacation....that was three years ago!

Northbrook Designs said...

Hi Deanna, I know the loss. We lost our sweet girl 3 yrs ago and like you, we buried her in the garden. We recently took in a neglected and lonely cat and he's filled a gaping hole with all his love and cuddles, although he is a bit nutty at times. ;o). I wish the same for you if that's what you want. Sorry for you loss.... Romona

Jan Conwell said...

Cassidy had a good life with you, and you with him. I'm sorry for your loss, but I celebrate the time you got to have each other.

Hanni said...

I am so sorry for your loss of your wonderful boy! He knows he was much loved!

Deanna Hogan said...

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm not ready yet for another cat, though I continue to lavish Arthur (our other cat) with lots of love and attention. The animal shelter has quite a few cats, so I'll head that way when ready.