Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Benefits of Walking

I set a goal for myself to walk to and from work at least through the summer. I made this pledge in early May, and so far have stuck with it (with the exception of a couple extra early shifts or exceptionally rainy days). It's about 4 1/2 miles round trip, up and over the hills of Astoria. I feel better, my blood pressure is great, and the walk home allows some time to unwind after each potentially stressful shift.

Of course my recent ankle injury has slowed me down a little. I'm still walking, but allow about 5 more minutes in the morning. Running a portion of the way of Friday worsened things a bit, however. Back to walking, at least for awhile.

My husband and I were delighted to see deer on the way home the other day. These must be the neighborhood mascots, because they didn't seem that wary of our presence. Such lean and graceful creatures.

No comments: