Sunday, July 27, 2008

ODACA Luncheon

One of the centerpiece dolls, revealed (finally!) Each doll wore a different colored smock and coordinating dupioni silk knickers. Their lower legs also differed in color & print. Their boots or shoes were painted, with perle cotton or embroidery floss ties. Each wore a black beret, and held an artist's palette. I took progress photos while making the dolls, and posted them to my picturetrail site. The centerpiece album is no longer password protected, so check it out: www.picturetrail.com/blueherondolls
What a busy day! The morning was spent setting up for the ODACA Sales Room and placing the centerpiece dolls in the Luncheon room. The morning sales hours were from 9 to 11, then we attended the luncheon until 2, then back to the sales room from 2 to 5. The photo above is at the luncheon, during the helper doll raffle. Susan Sirkis was the guest speaker, and she gave a wonderful powerpoint presentation on the dolls of Dorothy Heizer.

I'd been told there were 10 tables with 8 at each table for the luncheon. So that's what I was prepared for. When I got there, there were 8 tables with 10 at each table. Now that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it certainly made an impact on my brilliant idea of how to give the centerpiece dolls away.

I made placards for each place setting, each one with the name of a different artist (van Gogh, Picasso, etc). So each table had the same set of 8 different names (I had to improvise and add 2 names per table so each of the 10 place settings would have a placard). Then I pulled the name of an artist out of a hat, and the person who had that name at each table won the doll. I think everyone was happy with the doll.

Sales went very well, and I'll have a much lighter suitcase to take home.

4 comments:

Susie McMahon said...

Hello Deanna,
I just checked out the picturetrail album with the step-by-step of making the dolls - they are just wonderful, and the glimpse of your orderly way of working was an insight! Lucky, lucky people who won a doll. I think the photo I liked best was the one of the stack of dolls with their needle-sculpted faces before painting.....Amazing how expressive a few stitches can be in the right hands!
Thanks for sharing.
Susie
PS You don't look anywhere near old enough to be a grandma!

Susie McMahon said...

Hello again Deanna - Had a thought last night (yeah - I know, it's dangerous) but if you only needed 8 of the 10 dolls for table centres, does that mean that you have two for sale? Assuming they haven't been snapped up, of course - which they probably have.
Just a thought!
Susie

fiddlestixstudios said...

Wow!Deanna,I just looked at your picturetrail of the centerpiece dolls!They are absolutely amazing!It was SO interesting looking through all the stages.:)
~Mandy

Deanna Hogan said...

Thanks, Susie - I like the photo of the stacked dolls, too. And I like it when some dolls don't NEED tons of sculpting. This design was one. All the dolls are gone now, having sold the surplus two right after the luncheon. Maybe I should have kept one for myself.

Mandy, thanks for checking out my picturetrail. More and more I'm taking progress photos. It's helpful for me, and might even encourage other dollmakers to try something new to them. Many dolls aren't so complicated when you break it down into steps.

Deanna