Monday, December 8, 2008

der Belsnickle

Tomorrow's the big ER Christmas Party & Auction. Over the years our "White Elephant" gifts have morphed into nice gifts (wrapped) that are auctioned off among staff & guests. We use that money to help families less fortunate (and believe me, we're in a position to identify these folks in our capacity as healthcare workers).

So when I was new to dollmaking (mid 1990s), I started contributing a Santa doll to the cause each year. Der Belsnickle is this year's doll. Hopefully no one from work will visit my blog before tomorrow night, cuz it's supposed to be a surprise.

He stands about 17-1/2 inches tall, and is made from muslin - sculpted, painted, cracked and stained. I used a pattern by The Rosemary Rabbit (copyright 1995). I made the bear and stick horse he holds, too, which were included in the pattern. The directions weren't the best I've experienced - I've give it a C minus (many of you are aware of my OCD when it comes to instructions) - so I kind of did things my own way at times. But I LOVE the little bear, and will make more.

I used some sort of real fur for the trim. I have no idea what kind is, but it is the softest stuff I've ever felt in my life. I can't remember where I got it, but I've had it for years. The piece I have is cut in the shape of a knee-length coat (one side of the front, anyway), without the piecing of smaller pelts. Maybe it's beaver.

6 comments:

Northbrook Designs said...

Awesome Santa Deanna, I love Santa's, can't get enough of them. I'm sure the auction will be a big success...Romona

Karen Mallory said...

What a wonderful Santa Deanna! Love all the details. I have some beaver fur. It is soft but mine is about 3" pile.
hugs Karen

Dixie Redmond said...

Oh, Deanna! He's wonderful! I've been making Santas. Like the idea of using the old fur in this way.

Dixie

Carla said...

He is just beautiful! I've been wanting to make a santa and just never get to it.

Deanna Hogan said...

Thanks, everyone!
Hopefully someone at the party can help identify the fur. This stuff is short - not the 3" pile that Karen has. I'm rubbing some against my cheek right now - oooh, so soft.

Deanna

Orice said...

This one is beautifully done. I love it!