Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Santa Fat Quarter Swap Challenge

I recently participated in an online group challenge - the Santa Fat Quarter Swap. This challenge was hosted by the Santa Studio, which is one of many studios found at the Ning group "Cloth Doll Artistry." Now that the challenge is over, I can post photos of my guy. He stands about 19 inches tall.


I received my fat quarter fabric packet from Helen Grossman, containing beautiful, non-traditional Christmas fabrics. The doll pattern was one designed by Kat Lees. I made him from craft velour and added the sculpted nose. Craft velour stretches in one direction, so I made him with the stretch running vertically - making him tall and thin. His hair, beard and eyebrows are natural wool locks, needle-felted in place.

I may make another Santa with the stretch going across the body to illustrate what a difference this makes.

I designed his costume, and his tunic and pants are removeable. Hopefully the clothing won't have to be altered too much to fit a short fat Santa. His hat is ladder stitched in place.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Santa is wonderful and very different! I'm always amazed at artists imagination! Warm wishes, Esther

Unknown said...

Hi Deanna,
Your Santa is wonderful and not just because he is not in the traditional red/white! I like his outfit very much. His nose has a special appeal! Great Santa!
Merry Christmas!
Pam

Orice said...

I love your skinny Santa. Last year I made this Santa pattern and love him so much! Now that I'm living in Portland again(since August), I hope I don't lose the urge to make dolls.