Thursday, November 12, 2009

Where have I been, and just what have I been doing?

Well, it's truly autumn here, and life/work has been busy. I've been itching to make a doll, but it hasn't been in the cards. We're seeing many folks with the flu or "flu-like symptoms" present to the ER every day. Most of us have had our flu shots, but I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before we all start dropping like flies.

I attended a great trauma class last week (certification is required every 4 years). You might notice that the instructors are teaching in a hotel room. That's because the person coordinating the class lacks some organizational skills.

Not pointing fingers ~ I'm just saying...
Good thing they're real ER nurses, and therefore very adaptable and able to go with the flow (though the instructor said she couldn't sleep until she put the dummy away.)

TNCC (Trauma Nurses Core Course) is a comprehensive class, with written and practical exams. When I finished my one-on-one practical exam, the tester asked what courses I instructed. That caught me by surprise. I said, "Uh, doll making?" That's not what he was talking about. He said I'd make a good TNCC instructor because I like "control." I guess I do, but I think I'd rather teach dollmaking ;-)

We also babysit our grandson every Monday and Wednesday. Yesterday (during a rain break) we went to the local park with Ivan. He's so much fun to be around, and his vocabulary is expanding weekly. Dare I say, he's a genius?

Monday, my oldest son announced that he and his fiancee are expecting a girl in April. It came as quite a shock, but at least he knew to tell me in person and not via email. He's very excited and happy about it, and I'm happy that he's happy.

In just a little over a month we'll be celebrating Christmas. I'm sure I'll be ill-prepared as usual. Our Christmas party/auction is on December 19, and we've put together a little ER band for entertainment. We've just started rehearsing a set of songs to perform. The band has two new members that both work in the ER - Ian (drummer) and Kyle (my youngest son, on sax and is learning a little electric guitar). I'll also be playing the electric guitar for the first time. That should be entertaining...or not.

I've also become a little bit addicted to karaoke (at home, in private). Myspace.com has a karaoke feature, which is a good way to exercise the voice. I bought a mic for the computer, and now I can experience the pain of hearing recordings of myself.

2 comments:

FairiesNest said...

Congratulations on the new addition! Your grandson is adorable...of course! :)

verobirdie said...

Congratulations for the baby to come, and for the present one.
I loved your answer about teaching :-)