Sunday, December 4, 2011

Frankensanta?

A couple years ago, one of my Santas came back to me after a little run in with a dog. In need of complex plastic surgery, I put the project off for a long time. I decided to begin reconstruction procedures today, while the base of my auction Santa (previous post) dries.


After decapitation, I did my best to sew all the tears closed. Some of the fabric was in pretty bad shape, and obviously, most of the beard and mustache are missing (Tibetan lamb on the hide must have been too tempting for the doggy).

After taping the hat and hair out of the way, I painted on a good layer of white tacky glue.
Next came a base layer of paperclay. I deliberately avoided the bottom of the head where it will be sewn to the body.

Here's what this Santa looked like new. I adapted "Cyrus the Summer Santa," a pattern by Rusty Needle Originals by Two Jays:

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Poor old Santa:( I would never have thought of doing what you are doing with the paperclay...interesting.

Deanna Hogan said...

Hi Mary Ann,

I'd been trying to think of a way to fix him without replacing the whole head. If this doesn't work, it'll be a learning exercise if nothing else!

Deanna

Mary Ann said...

I was wondering if maybe you should have sewed on the head first. I think it's a brilliant idea and should work....fingers crossed:)