I've finally finished two commissioned dolls, dressed alike (like the prototype I made last year). I'd forgotten how much fiddly hand sewing there was! They were made side-by-side, so while they look very much alike, there are a few little differences. I made a third doll as well, just have to finish sewing buttons and snaps on the dress, make the hat, and add the hair.
My Week 6 assignment (taught by Tam) is finally completed. I had to put it on hold while I awaited the delivery of masking fluid and some sprays. I was happy with the way it was, but took a chance and added the script on the wings.
Here's my Week 9 project, taught by Danita. As I have no fashion magazines, I printed this classical piece from the Internet - a portrait of Berthe Goldschmidt by Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, circa 1868-1870. In this lesson, we painted gesso over the printed image, then used watercolor crayons and more gesso to add the coloring.
Tamara Laporte provided the first lesson for this year-long course, a warm-up assignment to create a Fairy Art Mother (or Father). Mine is pictured below. I've never used watercolor crayons before, so it's been fun trying new techniques.
Our second lesson was also taught by Tamara. This is "My Journey" for the coming year. In the clouds are my blessings, and in the sunflowers are my goals. I had to make the background from acrylics, as I didn't have watercolors at the time (I do now).
I'm a bit behind, but have at least started most of the Lifebook assignments thus far. This is my Week 2 assignment (taught by Monica Zuniga). This time I had watercolor paints on hand for the background. I worked pretty quickly, and it was fun blending the colors. I had to dig out stamps I've never used but have accumulated throughout the years. And where did I get all these inkpads?
I've been having fun with the Lifebook 2013 lessons. I've had to work a little out of order due to supply issues. And while the lessons may not be related to dolls, I think it's a great way to become re-inspired. I'm also learning some great mixed media techniques that might actually translate to dolls.
Week 3's "New Blooms" assignment was taught by Christy Tomlinson. I'm quite proud of my artsy background. I used text from an old book, a piece of a map from an atlas, tissue paper from an old clothing pattern, washi tape, paint, inks, colored tissue paper, gesso, foil, and fabric.
Week 4's challenging "Scales of Light" assignment was taught by Dion Dior. I used a white Prismacolor pencil on black construction paper.
Week 5's Game Board assignment was taught by Kelly Hoernig. It was a fun and creative project. Both sides of the playing cards are shown. These are made from Bicycle brand playing cards.
Tam has also given us a creative prompt ~ Free Falling: