Thursday, October 1, 2009

Treasures of the Gypsy doll DONE!

...and in the mail - although after going through all the paperwork for this challenge, I might be too late. One paper had a deadline of October 5, another said the "last week of September." Oh well, what's the worst that could happen - the doll won't be exhibited and the money to send and insure her (there and back) will be wasted. Hey, at least I sent the insurance form in by the July deadline!

Maybe it's just me, but this particular challenge has a plethora of paperwork, labels, instructions, etc. And as I was reviewing it all today, I remembered saying (about 2 years ago) I'd never do this challenge again. I still don't know if I got it all together correctly. The Hoffman Challenge is so much easier in this regard. But Pamela Armas is a wonderful gal, and has tons of treasures in her shop. You know, the kind of stuff you buy and set aside for that very special doll that you never make. I have a bit of silk purchased in San Francisco last fall at $75 per yard. It's one of those pieces that's been set aside for "something special." Am I the only one that does this?

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with my ToG doll. But I'm just not very blingy when compared to other dollmakers that participate in this challenge. It's really hard for me to embellish, let alone to the nth degree. I have a hard time picturing in my head what and where to stick a doo-dad. In my opinion, Arley Berryhill is the BEST. Check out his Troll Queen for the Hoffman Challenge - now THAT'S embellishment!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Deanna ! she is just so lovely, you have done a fantastic job on her...I will have my fingers crossed for you...cheers Michelle

Kate said...

Your embellishment is just fine! Oftentimes it is the restraint of said embellishments that really make the doll. You do this with the utmost of skill. It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that bling! doo-wop, doo-wop, doo.

Northbrook Designs said...

Good job Deanna, As for embellishments, not every doll needs to be smothered in them. Some dolls are just meant to stand on their own beauty. Some dolls because of the type, need lots of bling. You did good. And I know what you mean about the paperwork, to much fuss. I entered last year, but not again, just to much paperwork and expense.I'll try again with Hoffman though.

Unknown said...

Beautiful gypsy! I like that she is not weighed down with jewels; understated, but posh.
hugz
Pam

Anonymous said...

Deana,
Your Gypsy challenge girl is quietly splendid with just the right touches of luxury.
Connie Turner
connieturner96@msn.com